Its key features are as follows:
- Length: 600 m
- Width at the base: 9.50 m
- Maximum height: 8.12 m
- Cross section (without false ceiling): 66 m2
- Cross section (with false ceiling): 44 m2
- Minimum radius of curvature: 400 m
- Longitudinal slope: 1 %
- Transverse slope: 2 %
- Emergency tunnel: 4 m wide by 2.50 m de high
- Emergency exits: 3 (every 150 m)
The tunnel is equipped with maximum flexibility in terms of ventilation, so that the different ventilation systems which are most common in modern tunnels can be tested:
The ventilation systems and equipment available are as follows:
- Longitudinal ventilation
- Semi-transverse ventilation
- Mixed longitudinal / semi-transverse systems
- The “Saccardo” system
Fourteen 45 KW jet fans (6 fans are installed in the tunnel)
- Two 355 KW axial fans, reversible and with variable speed, with a combined capacity of 160 m3/s
- Removable false ceiling, located 5.17 m above the tunnel floor
- Twenty-one motorised 2 m2 ventilation hatches
- Two axial fans, 355 KW (supply) and 315 KW (extraction), with a combined flow of 120 m3 /s
Passive protection system against fire
The tunnel is equipped with a passive protection system against fire, comprised of a 5cm layer of flame-retardant concrete (Meyco Fireshield from the BASF chemical company). This protection has the following key features:
- Located in the central zone of the testing tunnel between point 335 and point 415.
- Allows fires with high heat output to be conducted; fires with a heat output of over 200 MW have already been conducted.
The tunnel also includes the following additional equipment:
- Water storage tanks with a total capacity of 600 m3.
- Pressure pipes with a diameter of 150 mm on the outside of the tunnel, located at point 300. Supplied by a pressure generator which works to a maximum pressure of 4 bars and with a capacity of 180 m3/h.
- Pressure pipes with a diameter of 100 mm on the inside of the tunnel, with fire hydrants every 50 metres. This system receives water from different tanks and is supplied by a 9.5 bar pressure generator with a capacity of 72 m3/h.
- Spillage collection system with a 50 m3 decanting basin.
- 250 W lights every 15 m, on both side walls.