The facilities available in Applus+ TST allow full-scale tunnel fire tests to be carried out in controlled conditions, in order to carry out investigation and validation work on:
- Systems and equipment for ventilation and smoke extraction
- Fire detection systems
- Systems for fire-fighting and control
- Fire resistance of construction materials under real conditions
- Response to fire in facilities and rolling stock
- Validation of CFD models of simulation and calculation
Projects in the tunnel
Testing fire detection and extinguishing systems for tunnels
Over the five years of operation, Applus+ TST has developed different projects for different customers, which include the following:
- MONT BLANC tunnel real scale fire test. Testing of different suppression systems based on water, the German firm FAB, has develop a total of 23 test with real scale fire, reaching powers of fire up to 100 MW, in order to characterize the different option in order to take a decision to install that kind of suppressions system in the Mont Blanc tunnel in a future.
- SAFE Project. Testing of water mist system FOGTEC German firm, to verify its performance in the rail tunnel English Channel (Eurotunnel). During this project, there were a total of 5 test with real scale fire reaching powers of fire up to 200 MW, representing a milestone in this kind of testing because, up to now, nobody has been tested at this scale for water mist systems.
- Full scale fire tests for low-pressure watermist suppression systems, designed by VID and built by Dutch engineering company EFECTIS, towards the verification of the functionality of a road tunnel in Singapore. Throughout the project, a total of 16 tests were conducted with fire made from the combustion of wood pallets. Furthermore, we have also conducted a half-hour long free-burning test that achieved the highest HRR ever recorded for this type of test (250 MW).
- SINGAPORE Tunnel. Testing of water suppression systems by EFECTIS Nederland firm, to verify its performance in Singapore tunnel. During this project, there were a total of 7 test with real scale fire, reaching powers of fire up to 100 MW in a free burning test along one hour.
- Fire-tunnel test to “CALLE 30” (Project burial of the M30), which involved water mist companies as MARIOFF, FOGTEC and the Madrid Fire Service Department. A total number of 51 live fire tests with different configurations have been made. Reaching heat release rates of around 80 MW.
- SOLIT-Project (Safety of Live in Tunnels), by FOGTEC and where there have been a total of 15 live-fire testing at different HRR, testing the performance of water mist against a fire inside the tunnel.
- SOLIT II-Project (Safety of Live in Tunnels), by FOGTEC and where there have been more than 30 live-fire testing at different HRR, testing the performance of water mist against a fire inside the tunnel.
- SAN MAMÉS tunnel, real scale fire test. RG SYSTEMS (KOMTES GROUP), where there have been more than 22 live-fire testing at different HRR (30 MW – 50 MW), testing the performance of water mist against a fire inside the tunnel.
- SINGAPORE Cable Tunnel. Testing of TYCO water suppression system made by EFECTIS Nederland firm, to verify its performance in Singapore Cable tunnel. During this project, there were a total of 13 test with real scale fire, in a reduction mockup section inside the experimental tunnel.
- Multidimensional city, funded by the MICINN, carry out 6 fire test of 20 MW (HHR).
- TECRESA passive protection system, which reached 15 MW (HHR), verifying the performance of different materials tested.
- EUROESTUDIOS tests to determine the HRR through different systems, which made a total of 6 test reaching 20 MW.
- RIOGLASS wind tunnel test, to verify the resistance of different materials reaching wind speeds up to 135 km/h.
- Automatic fire detection test, by TRAFICON France; using a video camera system. Fires were generated by potato starch and potassium nitrate.
- MARI-SP demonstration test of an intelligent guidance system using led for the personal guidance and evacuation in tunnels.
Own R&D Projects
- Characterization tests of longitudinal ventilation systems in tunnels. Funded by the Foundation Barredo.
- Research project to test the fire resistance of different materials. Funded by the Foundation Barredo.
- Project implementation and characterization of longitudinal ventilation system with intermediate extraction (Saccardo). Funded by the Foundation Barredo.
- HRR detection system in tunnels based on the analysis of oxygen consumption and the production of clean hot smoke and fire ventilation tests in tunnels (EXPTE. 25/2008), funded by the Ministry of Industry and
- Employment of Asturias’s Principality (General Management of Mines and Energy).
- Characterization tests of the smoke critical speed at different HRR in case of fire in tunnels (EXPTE. 36/2009), funded by the Ministry of Industry and Employment of Asturias’s Principality (General Management of Mines and Energy).